A Volunteers Perspective....part 1


So, here I am and I can barely believe it!

I guess I should introduce myself, I’m Romayne, or thanks to my inaptitude for Afrikaans you may well come to know me as Sea Cow. Don’t ask, just go with it.

The training period was absolutely fantastic and our  GVI Regional Coordinator Ben Tupper could not have done any more in making it comfortable, interesting, exciting, fun and wholly engaging. Though, in all honesty, I reckon you would have to be dead, to not be swept away with the beauty and majesty of the plants, scenery, wildlife, sunrises and sunsets here. Every twist and turn is a revelation and completely bewildering. During this “honeymoon” period training at Skukuza we had the privilege of being taken to areas of the camp that are essentially off limits to the public. We also had many wonderful presentations by key personnel that work in various departments, and this gave us a terrific insight into the inner workings of not only Skukuza but of SANPARKS overall.

Beautiful view of the Sabie River
Skukuza is the main Rest Camp for Kruger and it is here that the history of the park and scientific research is gathered, documented, preserved and archived. There is a library, museum, herbarium, dog cemetery and a brand new, jaw dropping function centre. There are also the accommodation facilities and camping areas and the train station which has now been converted to a restaurant as well as lots more.

I know it is high on the agenda for most folks to see the Big 5 and that is great. For me though, everything that I have seen and experienced has been way and beyond anything I would have even dared to dream.

Never in my life would I have thought, that I would ever touch a rhino, let alone stroke one behind their ear! This happened during my training when we were taken to the Bomas at Skukuza where we were first based. The rhino is kept in the Bomas, which is an area like a kraal that has a number of holding pens that look similar, and are at times used in the same way for cattle auctions.

Vols get to check out the Skukuza Bomas!
This area is not in any way a tourist trap. In fact it is actually off limits to the public. The animals are captured in the park and brought to the bomas for scientific research or perhaps tagging etc. At times though they will be caught and brought here to be sold / auctioned to private game reserves.

The rhino I patted is named Tsklokey (excuse spelling) but it means bells! Poor Tsklokey was taken to the bomas after it was discovered that he had a deformed penis and he has been there ever since. Even when he has had the opportunity to bolt he seems more than content to stay. This experience was one I will never forget. I really love the rhinos, and after seeing three that had been poached last year it really was very special to be so close to this incredible creature without it having its horn hacked off and face eaten away by maggots. To look right into his eyes and feel the soft skin behind his ears and rough hide over the shoulders was truly amazing. It was quite funny though when the guy that works there got Tsklokey to come to us with a whistle as if he was calling his dog! The huge, proud creature then moved towards us in a slow and considered way allowing us to touch him.....to be continued!




Stay tuned for the next installment of the training blog!





Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: