Bontebok in Bloom


I am by no means an avid botanist but I am happy that spring has arrived. Not only has it warmed up but Bontebok is looking so pretty with all the flowers and now we have baby bokkies jumping about to.

This week I had a plant monitoring day working with crew. Each year a school group comes in to the park to identify certain plants and count their presence within a specific area. This means I got to work with the rangers and a woman who can only be described as a fountain of flower knowledge. As ignorant as it is of me, truth be told so much of the veld looks the same. However, hidden in between the bushes are some of the most beautiful flowers and so a chance to get into the veld to see them, and identify the rare ones was a real treat.

I also got to see the new baby Bontebok’s this week. They are so sweet! I have only seen two so far but they are the herd close to reception so the others may be hidden from me for a while. At least I have my Red Hartebeest and Angulate tortoise around to always say hello.

Written by: Danielle Cox (GVI Intern, Bontebok National Park)

Date posted: 08 September 2011


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: