Welcome to West Coast National Park


So as the new GVIs in the SANParks internship program we have been here for about a month and at our new parks for about 2 weeks. Our training in Kruger was amazing and I learned so much about this country and what we would be doing for our terms here. We were also lucky enough to see almost everything on our “wishlist” of animals, including a leopard and a very small baby hippo!

West Coast National Park is a little different than Kruger National Park, but it is definitely a beautiful place. Ever day I drive to work past a lovely turquoise lagoon, and I can watch many different types of birds from my office. We have had a couple of school groups since I have been here and I have really enjoyed getting to interact with the kids. So far my favourite part is taking the kids kayaking, because it means I get to spend a few hours wading around in the warm lagoon while they play. I’m looking forward to getting more involved, and getting to know even more about my park!

Written by Katie Lawrie (GVI Intern West Coast National Park)

Posted 12/02/2011


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: