National Women's Day - 9 August 2010

Here I am sat 6000 miles from home and not really knowing what the next year is going to involve for me. My first task from Priscilla (my supervisor) relates to Women’s day. She wants to run some sessions with the women of the communities and she would like the subject of my presentation to be "how the housewife can help the environment".

The problem is what happens in a South African home, what does housework look like, what are the priorities of the day and what are the problems the women face?

I have now delivered the presentation three times on each occasion the audience were very attentive, even if they only understood a portion of what I was saying. At the end everyone made a pledge to do something to help the environment in their home over the next twelve months.

Written by: Vivienne Pink
GVI intern at Namaqua National Park

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: