Poetic Presentation

During the GVI's last get together trip in Mapungubwe all of the current volunteers gave a presentation about their time with the program so far.  Romayne (Sea Cow....don't ask!) gave her presentation about her first 6 months in Golden Gate Highlands National Park in the form of a poem.  With her permission I thought I would share it with everyone and how amazingly it expresses how she has grown to love her park.  Enjoy!


A heartbeat pulsates from granite deep
And echoes times that can’t repeat
Mystery, mastery, spirit and grace
Envelopes life’s rhythmic pace

A soul so silent, so strong
Shall not be taken, shall not be gone
Landscapes, colours, all of creations glory
Woven together in the ultimate love story

Every need, desire, every answer given, no pieces missing
Why wasn’t anyone listening?
Did they not see we honestly had it all
But through greed’s destruction we are poised to fall
And plummeting with us the innocent too
Who knowing no better are denied the chance to choose

How will they ever understand the riches they stand to lose
Their identity and their truth
So together we shall unite, cross borders, oceans, histories and cultural divide to teach and learn with sense and pride
We seek a remedy, a solution, a cure
That lies within the young and pure

At first they come unknowing, blinded by petty fads and distractions
And this is why we must take action
Open their eyes, immerse them in sound, reach to touch, sweet scents and treasures found
Holding them gently and guiding them through
Experiences wonderful, experiences new

Their eyes now dance alive and bright
In the glow of the firelight
Filled with enthusiasm, knowledge, passion and power
The seed has been planted and the plant starts to grow
A flower blooms
And now they know

Ben, I’m sorry if these ramblings don’t exactly fit your brief
It’s not my intention to cause you trouble or grief
These heartfelt thoughts are all that I feel
And I promise you they are abiding and real

But in fearing that I may be left out in the cold
I’ll do my best to come back to the fold

Months have passed since I touched down
But I’m still waiting for my feet to hit the ground
I am bewildered by the sheer beauty, majesty and grace
Of this timeless, ancient place

Between climbing mountains
Crossing streams
And grasses gently swaying in the breeze
We have Stones & Bones, the Orientation Slideshow too
Themedia Triandra, Miscanthidium and thatch grass as well to name just a few

I’ve learnt about mudstone, sandstone and can even see a dyke
All of this just by taking a hike
Stripes, horns, hooves and claws
Feathers, scales, fur and paws

The recipe for my work is a simple one
As simple as day’s break with the rising sun
An ounce of knowledge, a good splash of passion
Wrapped in tenderness and compassion

Learners arrive not really knowing what they’re in for
But are soon captivated by nature’s wonders and riches galore

And as shadows lengthen in the fiery sunset
I stop for a moment just to draw breath
And here in the quiet and solitude I stand
Knowing how grateful I am to be here in this land
To be able to be here, and do what I love
I can only tilt my head and thank the good Lord above.



-Romayne Malcolm
GVI Volunteer - Golden Gate Highlands National Park

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: