Eco-school Workshop in the Northern Cape


12 schools have signed up to join the eco-schools program in 2011 in the area of the Northern Cape between Namaqua National Park and Richtersveld Transfrontier Park. The Department for Environmental Affairs and Nature conservation held a workshop for educators from these schools in Springbok last Saturday. Priscilla and I went along to represent the Park; she spoke about the support we can give and the other educational/school programs that we offer.

I was asked to run an icebreaker session at the beginning; I used a pairs game which I have previously used with Adults in Scouting. In fact the whole workshop was run in a very similar way to those I am involved in at home. There were lots of interesting sessions with plenty of opportunity for the educators to have a go and ask questions.

My second session of the day was about choosing your theme and action plan, I found it very interesting researching the action plans that other schools in the area have done over the last few years. The whole concept of eco-schools has caught my imagination and I am looking forward to learning a lot more about it in the last few months before I go home.


Written by: Viv Pink (GVI Intern, Namaqua National Park)


Date posted: 17/05/2011


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: