Camdeboo Kids in Parks Programme

With West Coast National Park not hosting Kids in Parks during my internship, I decided to experience the Kids in Parks program at another National Park.

I chose to lend a hand at Camdeboo National Park. I would help out with the last 2 weeks of the 5 week program. After a sleepless 13 hour bus ride, I arrived bleary eyed and sleepy. Before I knew what hit me, 50 kids were sitting in front of me ready for their lesson on map reading. Luckily for them (and me) I was not taking the lesson. “Goeie middag” I greet them. As Andy Quick (a fellow GVI volunteer who has become the “Kids in Parks expert”) takes them through directions and map reading. And he does it well, because no one gets lost as they walk through the veld later in the day.

The highlight was seeing the kids so happy to be in the park, with nature surrounding them. Singing, dancing, smiling, laughing. That makes the program so special. And that’s what made my trip worthwhile. The scenery, including the Valley of Desolation, was amazing and seeing meerkats as I ate toast in the morning was pretty cool too. But the highlight was the kids, their happiness infectious to the point that even I was referred to as the “one who always smiles”.

4 schools and 200 or so kids later, and I had just started to get the program. I was ready to help out more. But that was also the end of the Kids in Parks program at Camdeboo National Park.

Written by: Peter Lancaster
GVI Intern from West Coast National Park

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: